AHGP Transcription Project


Ozark County



Ozark County, in the southern part of the State, is bounded north by Douglas, east by Howell, south by the Arkansas State Line and west by Taney County, and contains 472,320 acres.

Population in 1850, 2,294; in 1860, 2,447; in 1870, 3,363, of whom 3,351 were white, and 12 colored; 1,658 male, and 1,705 female; 3,357 native (1,895 born in Missouri), and 6 foreign.

History
This county was organized and called Ozark, January 29th, 1841. In 1843, it was rechristened as Decatur, but in 1845 its former name was restored. Ozark was sparsely settled, but improving slowly, when the late Civil War swept over it. The people fled to the more thickly settled portions of the State for protection from guerrillas and undisciplined soldiers, and the county was almost depopulated. It is now (1874) being rapidly resettled by an excellent class of people.

Physical Features
The central portion is mountainous, while the eastern and western parts are quite broken. The whole county is heavily timbered with the many varieties of oak, walnut, hickory, sugar maple, ash and pine, the latter of remarkably fine quality. The principal streams in the eastern part are Big North Fork of White River, Bryant's Fork of White River, and Pine, Cane and Lick Creeks; in the western are Little Fork of White River and its numerous tributaries, chief of which are Spring, North Fork of Spring, Branch Fork of North Fork of White River, Turkey, Little, Otter and Pond Creeks. Along these streams are beautiful valleys from a quarter of a mile to a mile in width, and of wonderful fertility.

The Agricultural Productions are corn, wheat, oats, rye, hay, tobacco, cotton, apples and peaches.

Mineral Resources
This is said to be a rich mineral district, but the indications have not been tested.

The Manufacturing Interests consist of a few grist and saw mills.

Wealth
Valuation of the county per census of 1870, $500,000.*

The Exports are wheat, corn, tobacco and cotton.

The Educational Interests are improving, and public schools are established in nearly all of the sub-districts, and there are also a number of private schools.

Ozark County Places in 1875

Almartha, is a post office 15 miles north of Gainesville.

GAINESVILLE, the county seat, 65 miles south south east of Marshfield, Webster County, its nearest railroad station, is pleasantly located on Lick Creek, near the center of the county, and has been built within the last two years. It contains 5 stores, a wagon shop, a hotel, a school house, a church, Methodist, and a court house in process of construction. Population, about 150.

Isabella, 12 miles west of Gainesville, on the dividing ridge between the Little Fork of White River and the North Fork of Spring Creek, has a pleasant and healthful location, and contains 3 stores, a school house, etc.

Lick Valley, is a post office 5 miles south east of Gainesville.

Melissa, is a post office 18 miles north west of Gainesville.

Piland's Store, is a post office and store 18 miles north west of Gainesville,

Rockbridge, 19 miles north east of Gainesville, has 1 store and a saw and grist mill.

St. Leger, is a post office and store 14 miles south east of Gainesville.


*Assessed valuation for 1873. $290,335. Taxation, $1.70 per $100. Bonded debt, $4,500. Floating debt, $1,500.



Source: Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Revised Edition, by R. A. Campbell, Published by R. A. Campbell,
St. Louis, Missouri, 1875




Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Friday, 22-Jan-2016 11:15:57 EST.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by
    and


Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or used on any other web site without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2015~2017 by Paula Franklin & Judy White