AHGP Transcription Project


Knox County



Knox County, in the north-east part of the State, is bounded north by Scotland County, east by Clark and Lewis, south by Shelby and Macon, and west by Macon and Adair Counties, and contains 323,195 acres.

Population in 1850, 2,894; in 1860, 8,727; in 1870, 10,974, of whom 10,774 were white, and 200 colored; 5,735 male, and 5,239 female; 10,368 native (4,855 born in Missouri) and 6o6 foreign.

History
In the fall of 1832, Stephen Cooper, from Howard County, settled in what is now the northern part of Knox, and 2 years later Richard Cook and James Reid followed him. During 1840 a number of emigrants from Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky established themselves in various parts of the county. In 1842 Peter Early, an Irishman, established a small colony of his countrymen near Edina, and this has so constantly been added to, that now the foreign born inhabitants constitute an important part of the population, and are among the most prominent and industrious citizens. The first church was built at Edina, in 1842, by the Catholics.
Knox was organized February 14th, 1845, and named in honor of Gen. Knox, of Revolutionary fame.

Physical Features
The surface of the country is undulating, about three-fifths prairie and two-fifths timber. It is well watered by South Fabius, Bridge and Troublesome Creeks and numerous other small streams, all flowing from north-west to south-east, and bordered with the different varieties of oak, hickory, walnut, elm, maple, etc.

The soil is good and well adapted to all the cereals. This is an excellent grazing district, as all the grasses succeed admirably, and water for stock is abundant.

Agricultural Resources
The productions are corn, oats, rye, barley, tobacco, the grasses, vegetables and fruits-especially apples and peaches.

This being such an excellent grazing county, stock-raising is an important interest, and the dairy business is made a specialty in several parts of the county. During 1873 Knox County shipped 1,420 horses, 520 mules, 32,874 hogs, 6,251 sheep and 13,151 cattle; aggregate value over $400,000.

The Manufacturing Interests are but poorly developed. There is room for many new branches of industry.

Wealth
Valuation of the county per census of 1870, $4,500,000.†

Railroads
The Quincy, Missouri & Pacific Rail Road, has 23 miles of track passing through the county from east to west. There are about i8 miles of bridging and grading done on the Keokuk & Kansas City Rail Road, from Edina in a south-westerly direction to the line of Macon County.

The Exports are horses, cattle, sheep, hogs, mules, corn, oats, timothy and hungarian seed, hay, tobacco, wool and butter.

Educational Interests
There are 80 sub-districts, with good school-houses, well furnished. Edina and some of the larger towns have well-arranged and substantial buildings. The schools are in session from 4 to 8 months each year. St. Joseph's Academy, under the care of the Sisters of Loretto, the only incorporated institution in the county, is located at Edina.

Knox County Places in 1875



Bee Ridge, a post office 9 miles south east from Edina.

Colony, a post office 18 miles north east from Edina.

EDINA, the county seat, on the Quincy Missouri & Pacific Rail Road, 47 miles from Quincy, was laid out in 1839 by Jackson Smallwood and Stephen Carnegy, and incorporated February 16th, 1857. The town is well and compactly built, and its people are energetic and intelligent. It has 10 dry goods, 6 grocery and 2 hardware stores, 2 newspapers-The Sentinel, published by James C. Claypool, and The Democrat, published by Griffin Frost, 4 churches-Catholic, M. E. Church, Christian and Presbyterian. An elegant Catholic church is now being erected, to cost, when completed, $50,000. This denomination is believed to largely out-number all others. Edina has a fine public school and a separate building for colored children. The Academy of St. Joseph is also located here. Population, about 1,500.

Goodland, a post office 18 miles south west from Edina.

Greensburgh, a post office 10 miles north from Edina

Hurdland, on the Quincy Missouri & Pacific Rail Road, 7 miles west from Edina.

Knox City, (Myrtle,) on the Quincy Missouri & Pacific Rail Road, 9 miles east from Edina, was laid off in 1872 and has 1 store.

Locust Hill, a post office 12 miles south west from Edina, on the line of the projected Keokuk & Kansas City Rail Road.

Millport, 9 miles north east from Edina, is a growing town, having a good grist mill, saw mill, also several stores and shops. Population, about 200.

Myrtle, See Knox City.

Newark, a small village 19 miles south east from Edina, was laid off in 1836. Population, about 250.

Novelty, a post-office 12 miles south from Edina.

Owl Creek, a post office 14 miles south east from Edina.


†Assessed valuation in 1873 $3,194,892. Taxation, $1.05 per $100. Bonded debt $169,100.


Source: Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Revised Edition, by R. A. Campbell, Published by R. A. Campbell,
St. Louis, Missouri, 1875


Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Sunday, 26-Jul-2015 01:26:08 EDT.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by
    and


Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or used on any other web site without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2014~2017 by Paula Franklin & Judy White