AHGP Transcription Project


Crawford County



Crawford County, in the southeast central part of the State, is bounded north by Gasconade and Franklin Counties, east by Washington and Iron, south by Iron and Dent, and west by Dent, Phelps and Gasconade Counties, and contains 465,313 acres.

Population in 1830, 1,712; in 1840, 3,561; in 1850, 6,397; in 1860, 5,823; in 1870, 7,982, of whom 7,896 were white, and 86 colored; 4,089 male and 3,893 female; 7,589 native (5,155 born in Missouri) and 393 foreign.

History
This county was settled in 1815, by Wm. Harrison (many of his family still reside here) and others who located on the Maramec River. It was organized January 23rd, 1829, and then included a vast area of territory. From that time until March l0th, 1835, when the county seat was located, the county courts were held at the house of James Harrison, near the mouth of Little Piney, now in Phelps County.

Physical Features
The Maramec River enters the south western part of the county, and pursuing a tortuous course, leaves at the north eastern corner. Its chief tributaries and sub-tributaries on the south are Crooked, Yankee, Dry, Huzza and Shoal Creeks and Fourche à Courtois and Fourche Bazil. The Branch of Bourbeuse and its numerous tributaries water the north western part. There are also numerous springs, many of which, in addition to the streams, furnish good water power. The soil of the bottoms along the Maramec and its tributaries is a black loam inter-mixed with sand. The valleys are of a light brown loam and sand, while the uplands are chiefly yellow clay.

The timber consists of white, post and black oak, and black jack on the uplands, while the bottoms produce hickory, ash, elm, walnut, sycamore, linn, yellow and sugar maple, cherry, buckeye, iron wood and dogwood.

The Agricultural Productions are wheat, corn and the smaller grains, also fruits and vegetables.

The Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road Company have about 56,000 acres of lands for sale in the county, at prices ranging from $2.50 to $5.50 per acre.*

The Mineral Resources are chiefly iron and lead. The former is being mined successfully at many points, among which may be mentioned:
The Scotia Mines, near Leasburg, which is the shipping point for the ore. This is a wonderful deposit of blue specular and red hematite. A charcoal furnace is in operation here of about 22 tons capacity.
The Benton Creek Bank in the south west corner of the county, has a branch railroad 1 1/2 miles in length, connecting it with the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Rail Road. The arrangements are such that the operatives can load 25 cars at once, with sufficient space, side track, etc., to load 75 cars per day. This ore is blue specular and red oxyde.
The Cherry Valley Bank is a huge deposit of blue ore, situated 5 miles east of Steelville; no mining has yet been done, but operations will probably commence at an early day.
The Steelville Bank, about 1 mile south west of Steelville and about 200 yards north of the railroad, has a branch so built that the ore can be shipped directly from the bank.
The Grover Bank is about 5 miles south of Steelville, within half a mile of the railroad, on a down grade.
Iron Ridge, north east of Knob View, is about 2 miles north of the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, but is connected by a narrow gauge road. This ore is blue specular and red hematite, and is one of the largest deposits of mixed ore in this part of Missouri. It is being skillfully and energetically developed.
In addition to these, there are a dozen or more banks that have been somewhat developed, and numerous small deposits, all awaiting capital and labor.

Indications of immense deposits of lead are found in the eastern part of the county on Fourche à Courtois, Shoal, Huzza, and Dry Creeks. Little has been done toward the development of this mineral, and it is believed by the people of the county that the geological reports have been based upon a too hasty examination. Coal of a superior quality is found in the southern part of the county, and is now being mined 5 miles south west of Cherryville. A superior quality of sandstone has been found in various places.

The Manufacturing Interests are much neglected. It has 1 furnace, several grist mills, and 3 wool carding machines. Another furnace is being erected 2 miles north of Steelville.

Wealth
Valuation of the county per census of 1870, $2,800,000.**

RailroadsThe Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, passing through the county east and west, is located on high lands between the Maramec and Bourbeuse, and has 26 1/2 miles of track.

The St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Rail Road, connecting with the Atlantic & Pacific at Cuba, and running southward, has 30 miles of road.

The Exports are pig iron, iron ore, wheat, corn and stock.

The Educational Interests are receiving increased attention, and schools are established in many of the sub-districts. There is a private high school at Steelville.

Crawford County Places in 1875

Anthony's Mills is a post office 12 miles south east of Bourbon.

Argo is a post office 6 miles north west of Bourbon.

Bourbon is on the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, 13 miles north east of Cuba.

Cherryville is a post office 10 miles south east of Steelville.

Clinton's Mills is a post office 13 miles south east of St. James.

Cuba, at the junction of the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road with the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Rail Road, is 91 miles from St. Louis and 9 miles north west of Steelville. It is a thriving town, and contains about 13 stores, 2 hotels, 2 livery stables, 2 lumber dealers and 2 wagon shops.

Dry Creek is a post office 15 miles south of Steelville.

Elm Tree, (Kysville, is a post office 10 miles south west of Steelville.

Harrison's Mills is a post office 8 miles south east of Bourbon.

Iron Ridge is on the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, 5 miles west of Cuba.

Jake's Prairie is a post office 10 miles north of Cuba.

Kent is on the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, 3 miles west of Cuba.

Knob View is on the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, 8 miles west of Cuba, and has 1 general store.

Kysville, See Elm Tree.

Leasburg, on the Atlantic & Pacific Rail Road, 8 miles north east of Cuba, has 4 stores.

Lone Cedar is a post office 9 miles south east of Steelville.

Osage is a post office 16 miles south east of Steelville.

STEELVILLE, the county seat, is located in a beautiful valley one mile south of the Maramec. It has about 500 inhabitants, and is one of the most attractive towns in this part of Missouri. It has 1 cabinet maker's shop, 7 stores, 1 hotel and an excellent high school, established in 1850. It is on the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Rail Road, 9 miles from Cuba.

*The Railroad Company requires 10 per cent of purchase money at time of sale, the balance to be paid with interest on deferred payments, in seven years; and offers free transportation from St. Louis to the lands. Special inducements to colonists.
**Assessed valuation for 1873, $2,027,073. Bonded debt, $1,500. Floating debt, $1,500. Rail Road debt, Benton Township, $15,000; Maramec Township, $22,000; Union Township, $20,000.


Source: Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Revised Edition, by R. A. Campbell, Published by R. A. Campbell,
St. Louis, Missouri, 1875


Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Thursday, 28-Jan-2016 10:01:36 EST.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by
    and


Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or used on any other web site without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2015~2017 by Paula Franklin & Judy White