AHGP Transcription Project


Barry County



Barry County, near the south-western corner of the State, is bounded north by Lawrence County, east by Stone, south by Arkansas, and west by McDonald and Newton Counties, which seperate it from the Indian Territory, and contains 501,760 acres.

Population in 1840, 4,795; in 1850, 3,467; in 1860, 7,995; in 1870, 10,373; of whom 10,320 were white, and 52 colored; 5,224 male, and 5,149 female; 10,345 native (4,946 born in Missouri) and 28 foreign.

History
The county was first settled in 1828 by Mr. Washburn, on the prairie which now bears his name. Between that time and 1834, settlements were made on Flat Creek by the Locks and Bratins; by Jerry Fly and one, Joyce, on Joyce Creek; by Wm. Logan, on Shoal Creek; and by Daniel Meeks, on the headwaters of Sugar Creek. The county was organized January 5, 1835, and originally embraced all the territory from which the counties of Barton, Dade, Jasper, McDonald, Newton, and (in part) Cedar, have been formed. It was reduced to its present limits January 24, 1849. The "Jackson State Legislature" met in 1861 at Cassville, which was a military post, during the late war. The first battle in the county was fought in Mountain township, in the eastern part of the county, about the last of July, 1861, between the Home Guard, on one side, and the State Guards and some Texan Rangers on the other. Early in 1862, Washburn was the scene of a sharp fight between a Texas Regiment, under Col. Stone, and the First Missouri Cavalry, under Maj. Montgomery. Gadfly was, for a time during war, the headquarters of the Union element in the county.

Physical Features
The northern and north-western parts of the county are rolling prairies, interspersed with timbered valleys. The eastern and south-eastern parts are hilly, and the southern part mountainous, with fertile valleys, while the south-western and western portions are high, undulating plains. About one-fourth of the county is prairie, the balance timber: oak, hickory, cherry, walnut, &c. The county is well supplied with water. White River runs through, and with its tributaries, Roaring River, Rock, Big and Butler Creeks, drains the southeastern part of the county. Flat Creek with its tributaries, Rockhouse, Jenkins and Carney's Creeks, are in the north-eastern and northern; and Shoal, Joyce and Sugar Creeks in the western, and the two Capp's Creeks in the north-western part of the county.

Among the many prairies we mention King's in the north, Hickum's in the south-east, Washburn's in the south, Round in the south-west, and Stone's in the north-west. About one-half of the county is good, tillable land, with a rich black and brown soil, having a subsoil of red or yellow clay. Roaring River Springs, and the many caves in the Ozark Mountains, in the eastern and south-eastern part of the county, are objects of interest to tourists and explorers.

The Agricultural Productions are mainly corn, wheat, tobacco, oats, potatoes-Irish and sweet. Fruits generally yield well when cultivated. There is about 200,000 acres of Government land in the county, and the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad own about 200,000 acres which they offer for sale at $5 to $10 per acre.*

Mineral Resources Lead has been found in nearly every township in the county, but has not been developed in paying quantities. Iron, with indications that promise well, has been discovered 7 miles south east and 18 miles east of Cassville. Building stone is abundant.

Wealth
Valuation of the county per census of 1870, $2,500,000.†

The Exports are wheat, corn, flour, horses, mules, cattle, hogs, and sheep.

Educational Interests are receiving increased attention. There are 69 public schools-including two high schools in the county.

Railroads
The Atlantic & Pacific Railroad has about 6 miles of track and 1 station, Plymouth, in the northern part of the county.

Barry County Places in 1875

CASSVILLE, the county seat, and principal town, located on Flat Creek, near the centre of the county, 22 miles from Peirce City, and Verona, the usual railroad stations, contains about 8 stores and 1 newspaper-the Cassville Democrat, John Ray, M. D., editor and publisher. The commodious court house is used by the different denominations for church purposes. Population, 300.

Corsicana (formerly Gadfly), 12 miles northwest of Cassville, has a few stores, a carding machine and flouring mill. Population about 100.

El Paso, a post office 8 miles west of Cassville.

Flat Creek, a post office 17 miles east of Cassville.

Gadfly.-See Corsicana.

Hazle Barrens, a post office 18 miles south east of Cassville.

Herdsville, a post office 15 miles south of Cassville.

Keetsville.-See Washburn.

McDowell, a post office 12 miles north east of Cassville.

Mountain Cove, a post office 8 miles south of Cassville.

Plymouth, on the A. & P. Rail Road, 285 miles from St. Louis.

Roaring River, a post office 13 miles south of Cassville.

Shell Knob, a post office 18 miles south east of Cassville.

Washburn (formerly Keetsville), on Washburn Prairie, 8 miles south west of Cassville, has about 8 stores. Population about 100.


*The Railroad Company requires 10 per cent of purchase money at time of sale, the balance to be paid with interest on deferred payments, in seven years; and offer free transportation from St. Louis to the lands. Special inducements to colonists. For full particulars see Appendix-Page 2.

†Assessed valuation in 1873, $1,537,137. County out of debt.


Source: Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Revised Edition, by R. A. Campbell, Published by R. A. Campbell,
St. Louis, Missouri, 1875


Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Friday, 12-Jun-2015 19:43:12 EDT.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by
    and


Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or used on any other web site without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2014~2017 by Paula Franklin & Judy White